Handvo is a baked dish made from various daals/lentils and Rice, Sesame seeds and Spices. The Better is prepared from lentils and Rice and is usually fermented overnight. This is baked dish. Hence the Handvo batter is traditionally baked in a special steam cooker. It is also possible to prepare in an oven. I am making this in my Oven with lots of vegetables.
Handvo is the dish which is frequently made when I was with mom, Mom used to make this full of veggies Handvo for us. As staying in Gujarat, You must know this dish very well. There are so many variations is this Handva recipe. But I would love to share the recipe which my mom used to make with. I love to enjoy this Handva with green chutney, that mint chutney. and there are so many people who enjoy this Handva with simple raw ground nut oil too. That also tastes super awesome. Its a breakfast or teatime snack which you can enjoy with full of tummy. You can add the veggies of your choice. With veggies you have to refrigerate it to enjoy for next one or two days.
My father used to have it without veggies as he loves to have simple food. Yesterday baked this Handvo but the journey of baking this Handva and drafting this post is hilarious. The thing is that, my washing machine was not working, and I called the man to repair it, in the meantime my Handva was in oven to be baked, and he was repairing the machine, As my oven is right on the top of my machine. [Don't worry its not at all dangerous ;) its on safe side]. and I was so scared that If my handva got burn, I will be so so angry. And I cant switch off the Oven during it is getting bake. But luckily everything was done on its time and My delicious handva was in my hand ;) Enjoyed this delicious Gujrati delicacy with coriander and Mint chutney. Love that. Check out the recipe below share your thoughts If you have tried this recipe or willing to try :)
1 Cup Rice
1/4 Cup Channa Daal
1/4 Cup Toor Daal
1 Tbsp Urad Daal
1/2 Cup Yogurt
2-3 Green Chilies, Chopped
2 tsp Ginger Paste
2 tsp Garlic Paste
1/2 Cup Lauki, shredded
1/4 Cup Carrot, chopped
1/4 Cup Green pees
1/4 Cup French beans
2 tsp Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Carom seeds, (Ajwain)
2 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
3 Tbsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
Few Curry Leaves
1. Wash Rice and all Daals and soak them Overnight. or for 4-6 hours. Drain water from Rice/Daal and coarsely grind them with Yogurt.
2. In a bowl, add batter from above and add 3G paste (Ginger, Garlic and Green chilies) Salt, Sugar, Carom seeds, Turmeric Powder and Lauki, Carrot, Green pees and French beans Mix well.
3. In a small skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of Oil and add mustard seeds and Asafoetida let the mustard seeds crackle, Add Curry Leaves and Red Chili Powder. Quickly Add this Oil mixture to the above batter and mix well. And add baking soda when you are about to bake the Handvo. Mix the mixture properly.
4. Transfer this batter to the cake tin pan and sprinkle sesame seeds and red chili powder on the batter.
5. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350F (180C) for 40 minutes.
6. Remove foil and broil on High for approx 10 minutes until a light golden crust forms. Let the Handvo rest for 10-15 minutes before eating.
Serve it with Mint-Coriander Green Chutney......and Enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
awesome looking handwoReplyDelete
Thank you so much:)Delete
Will try soon :)ReplyDelete
Do try and let me know how it turnedDelete
Lovely all the way!ReplyDelete
Thank you :)Delete
Hi tried it as instructed but feels a little raw. I have taken it out from the oven already. Is there any way to rectify it ? Thanks in advanceReplyDelete
hi, you must check it by toothpick or with knife before taking it out from the oven... if it comes clear it means it's done... but as u said it's already out of oven, 0ut it back to the oven, I m not sure this will comes out nicely or not :(Delete
Planning to make upma with it and try again �� Its too yummy to waste!Delete
Ahhh ok.. try to bake it properly next time... btw may I know ur name plsssDelete
Hi, tried again yesterday. Tastes ok but doesn't look as good as your blog pics :(Delete