Rajsthani food is incomplete without the mention of Dal-Baati and Churma. Dal Baati is an Indian dish comprising lentils and hard wheat rolls. It is popular in Rajasthan, and Madhya Pradesh. Daal is basically prepared using Toor dal, Chana daal, Moong daal, Urad Daal. All these lentils are cooked together after being soaked in water for a few hours. First a small amount of oil is heated in a frying pan and then the seasoning mustard and cumin seeds is added into the hot oil. Then chopped Green chili, Onion and Garlic paste, and some spices including Asafoetida, Red chili, Turmeric, coriander, Ginger are added. There may be a sweet and sour daal version can be made. And finally, the boiled daal is added and cooked. Baati is a hard bread made up of Whole Wheat flour, flour mashed with little bit of salt, and water. Ball sized round of this mixture are put it in well heated traditional oven. When the "Baati" becomes a golden brown color, its stuffed with ghee and served hot.
In my Family, Dal baati is hot favorite, Every Saturday, It is fix in our lunch, sounds like Really???? But yesss, Thts true, Himanshu is like crazy to have dal Baati....Thts his favorite...On weekend I don't prefer to make breakfast....We normally have Tea or coffee with some toast or bread butter, and in lunch this Delicious Dal Baati with loads of ghee.....I don't prefer to have these much ghee in my food...On weekend me and himanshu have our lunch together in one plate, But when it comes to dal baati, I prefer not to share my plate with him because he used to add 3 Tbsp or more Ghee in her dal baati ...and I am like....Noooo...I can never have it...But true side is you won't enjoy this meal without adding so much ghee in it....Hmmm....It is not at all guilt free food ;) You know how to enjoy this dal baati in a traditional way??? Its like, Crumble the baati in your plate then add dal as required and add loads of ghee, [(You can add more or less, (Health conscious people) don't worry I am one of them ;)] mix them all very well then enjoy it by adding any pickle or chutney.....Gosh, This is so mouthwatering!!! I love to have this with some Coriander chutney or with Mango Pickle...Mmmm...So delicious!!! We are not so fond of having Churma everytime....I didnt Prepared it but sharing recipe how to make it....And one more thing you will not find any Rajsthani wedding meal without Dal Baati churma....As in my wedding it was also a hot favorite menu ;)
1 Cup Mixed Daal (Urad daal, Chana daal, Toor daal, Moong daal)
2 Tbsp Oil
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds
A pinch of Asafoetida
1 inch Cinnamon stick
2 Bay leaves1/4 Cup Onion and Garlic paste
1 Cup Tomato puree
1 tsp Ginger, chopped 2 inch piece
2 medium Green chilies chopped
1/4 Cup Red chili powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Garam masala
Salt to taste
1/4 cup Fresh coriander leaves chopped
1 medium Lemon
2 cups Whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon Carom seeds
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 cup Pure ghee for soaking and serving
1. Soak Moong dal, urad dal and chana daal, toor daal in about three cups of water for an hour. Boil the daals with turmeric and salt till done and mash them properly.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add Cumin seeds, Asafoetida, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms, ginger, green chilies, Onion-Garlic paste and saute properly, then add Tomato puree and red chili powder, Garam masala, and pinch of salt.
3. Add the cooked Daals to this and blend properly. add juice of lemon and chopped coriander leaves, cook for 3-4 minutes, Turn off the gas!!
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Take Flour in a bowl. Add Salt, Baking powder and half a cup of pure ghee. Mix well. Add sufficient water and knead into a stiff dough.
2. Take Small sized portions, Press firmly and roll into round balls.
3. Grease a Baking tray. Place the Baatis on it. Press them slightly.
5. When done, Serve it hot with a bowl full of pure ghee to soak Baatis and Daal.
1. Grind the baati in a blender into a fine powder.
2. Add the almonds, and powdered sugar and mix well.
3. Store in an air-tight container.
4. Serve with daal-Bati.
This is a very Heavy Meal....After having it you will definitely want to sleep .....So for sometimes its ok if we are having this much heavy meal....I always burn at least 200 kcal in Gym after having this yummy yet heavy meal....!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoyyy the Rajsthani Taste!!!
Post a Comment