Daal Makhani is popular North Indian dish, And it is very Creamy and rich in flavor. Because of the so much Cream in this Daal, We can not make it in our daily meal, It can be make on special occasions. Well, whenever you go for North Indian restaurant, most of the people order Makhni daal or Daal fry .....Yeah, I know your mouth is watering, What to do...This daal is sooooo delicious and rich in taste....
I am not so fond of this much heavy food in my daily meal, once in a month, Yaa Yaa, once in a month (Not in a week) I would love to try this food, As you may know, I am posting low calorie food since 2 weeks. But yes, This is not a low calorie post, Its a perfect and Full of Cream, Makhni Daal....Traditionally it takes 24 hours to make this daal, But now we just soak it overnight and pressure cook it and we can have this delicious daal in very less time. On this weekend My best friend's Husband on lunch at my place, As she is in India, So, Of course I must need to take care of her better half's food department at least on a Weekend ...And Yes one more thing, She is a Punjabi kudi, and hubby is a Marwadi guy, So Makhni Daal will be the best Option to fulfill her space of absence :) So decided to make full Punjabi Menu in lunch..And Mmmmmm Makhni daal was really good...Even Prisha loved it too, I had never served her this daal, So for her I made a creamy and salty Daal, She asked me that Mumma, Why this daal is black??? Bcoz she nomally eats our regular yellow daal, hahahha....;) Too sweet....Love u baby :)
So yes, This is our 27th Foodiemonday Bloghop Event and the theme is Northindian Cuisine...I have decided to make complete Northindian meal in my lunch on this weekend, So made Makhni daal, (the main post of mine), Jeera Rice and Paneer Buteer Masala which I have already Posted before. All time hit combo and enjoyed the lunch so much, So, Now you just enjoy this creamy and rich step by step recipe of this delicious Daal and I am looking forward to read your comments :)
1 cup whole urad daal (black lentils)
1/4 cup Rajma (Red kidney beans)
11/2 Tsp Butter, or Ghee (Clarified Butter)
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 Bay Leaf
11/2 tsp ginger, peeled
1/2 Tbsp garlic, Paste
2 Green chilies
Pinch Hing (Asafoetida)
1/2 Cup Onion Paste
1 cup tomato paste or puree
1/4 cup cream
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp Garam masala
Pinch Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
1. Soak all of the lentils Urad, Rajma in water for 6 hours, or preferably overnight. Wash four times, changing the water each time.
2. Boil all of the lentils in pressure cooker with bay leaf and ginger for about 5 to 6 whistles until lentils are well cooked, mash the lentils lightly with the back of a ladle.
3. Heat a pan with ghee, and add the cumin seeds, and stir until they crackle. Fry the onion and garlic paste, and green chilies until beginning to color. Add the hing and tomato puree and stir for a minute.
4. Add to the Chilli Powder, Garam masala, Pinch of Turmeric Powder and Salt, cook it until Ghee leaves the pan. Add cooked daal, mixing well. Bring the dal to the boil. add Cream and Simmer gently for about 5-10 minutes.
Serve Hot with Roti, Naan, Paratha, or with Jeera Rice...You can definitely serve with plain rice too :)
How to make Jeera Rice
1 Cup Basmati Rice
2 Cups Water
2 tsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
1 small Piece Cinnamon
1 tsp Salt
Coriander leaves to garnish
1. Rinse Rice with water until water runs clear – Add 2 cups water and soak for half an hour.
2. In a pot with a tight fitting lid, heat Oil and Ghee.
3. Add Cinnamon, Cloves, allow them to sputter. Add Rice, Water and Salt. Bring to a boil, Don't cover with lid. Now, Cover the pot, reduce flame to low and let rice simmer for 15 minutes. Remove cover and stir gently. Turn off heat and replace cover until ready to eat.