The word "gulab" is derived from the Persian words gol (flower) and āb (water), referring to the rose water-scented syrup. "Jamun" or "jaman" is the Hindi-Urdu word for Syzygium jambolanum, an Indian fruit with a similar size and shape.
Gulab jamun, is a milk-solids-based sweet mithai, popular in countries in South Asia, in particular in India. It is made mainly from milk solids, traditionally from freshly curdled milk. It is often garnished with dried nuts like almonds to enhance flavor.
In India, milk solids are prepared by heating milk over a low flame for a long time until most of the water content has evaporated. These milk solids, known as Mawa in the Indian Subcontinent, are kneaded into a dough, sometimes with a pinch of flour, and then shaped into small balls and deep-fried at a low temperature. The balls are then soaked in a light sugary syrup flavored with green cardamom and rose water, kewra or saffron. Gulab jamun is available commercially, at South Asian restaurants or pre-prepared either in tins or as kits to be prepared at home.
The Arab dessert luqmat al-qadi is similar to gulab jamun, although it uses a completely different batter. Gulab jamun is a dessert often eaten at festivals, birthdays or major celebrations such as marriages, and the Hindu festival of Diwali. There are various types of gulab jamun and every variety has a distinct taste and appearance. As I am going to post some recipe from Eastern Spice, And this Gulab jamun mix is from Eastern Spices. I have tried the Eastern Gulab jamun mix and made these super tempting Gulab jamnus. Trust me the Outcome is fabulous. You can see how perfectly made Gulab jamuns are there. Very easy to make, Easy to handle and all the instructions are given back on the packet. Here These Gulab jamuns are from the packet one mixture.
The Product review is,
Quality of Product: 10/10
Quantity of Product: 10/10
Health Benefits: 8/10
Price Rating: 10/10
But If you want to make at home, the recipe is below with Mawa and without Mawa too. But I will surely recommend to use this Eastern Gulab Jamun mix for sure. Try it and Enjoyyy the delicious Flavor. I adopted this recipe from Bhavna's Kitchen and it turned out well everytime I make. :)
For Gulab Jamun Dough:
1/2 cup milk powder
1 tsp all purpose flour
1 tsp semolina
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp ghee
Warm milk as needed to knead the dough
For Sugar syrup:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water or as needed
Few strands of saffron
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
1. Take a Bowl and place all the dough making dry ingredients, Make the dough by combining the milk powder, flours, baking soda, ghee and warm milk. Divide the dough in 8-10 portions and make smooth crack free balls. Take the help of ghee, spread ghee or milk on both of your palm and make balls. keep the aside.
2. Take a bowl add sugar, water to make sugar syrup of 1 thread consistency. Add few strands of saffron and cardamom powder and check for the 1 thread consistency and keep the sugar syrup aside.
3. Heat the oil on medium and then lower the heat to low to medium. Slip in the balls into the oil from the side of the pan, one by one. They will sink to the bottom of the pan, but do not try to move them. Instead, gently stir oil with spatula to keep the balls from browning on just one side. After about few minutes, the balls will rise to the surface. The Gulab Jamuns should rise slowly to the top if the temperature is just right. Now they must be gently and constantly agitated to ensure even browning on all sides. (Note: If the temperature of the oil is too high then the Gulab jamuns will tend to break. So adjust the temperature to ensure that the Gulab jamuns do not break or cook too quickly.)
4. The balls must be fried very slowly under medium temperatures. This will ensure complete cooking from inside and even browning.
5. Now, add fried Gulab jamun directly into warm sugar syrup.
They needs to be soaked about 45 minutes. When done serve warm or refrigerate if you like chilled Gulab jamun.
If you want to make Gulab Jamun from Mawa you can try this one.
1 cup Mawa
5 tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 tsp cooking soda
1-2 Tbsp of warm milk
Now follow the recipe just as above.