Peda is a sweet from the Indian subcontinent, usually prepared in thick, semi-soft pieces. The main ingredients are khoya (Mawa), sugar and traditional flavorings, including cardamom seeds, pistachio nuts and saffron. The color varies from a creamy white to a caramel color. The word peda is also generically used to mean a blob of any doughy substance, such as flour or khoya. Variant spellings and names for the dessert include pedha, penda (in Gujarati) and pera.
Pedas originated in the city of Mathura in present-day Uttar Pradesh. The Mathura Peda is the characteristic variety from the city. From Uttar Pradesh, the peda spread to many parts of the Indian subcontinent. For our 133rd foodiemonday Bloghop event we are back with #Holionmyplatter theme, for this theme I am back with splash of saffron and khoya in the form of Peda. These Kesar Peda are so delicious and melt in mouth.
kesar peda is a classic sweet made for festive occasions. They are delicious and made with very few ingredients, milk and sugar, flavored with cardamom and saffron. This is a easy recipe to make. check out the recipe below and Enjoyyy...wish you all a very Happy and safe Holi. :)
2 cups dry milk powder
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed cardamom
Few strands of saffron
1 tablespoon milk to soak the saffron
1 tablespoon sliced pistachios for garnishing
1. Soak the saffron strand in warm milk. Set aside.
2. Heat the frying pan on low heat, Add cream and milk powder. Mix it well. Mix will start getting soft consistency of thick batter as it gets warm.
3. Cook mixture on low medium heat stirring continuously until mixture becomes lumpy like soft dough. This should take about 12-15 minutes. Add saffron and cardamom mix it well and cook for 2-3 more minutes until it is consistency of soft dough. Turn off the heat. Now this is known as khoya.
Transfer the khoya into a bowl and let it cool off until khoya becomes lukewarm.
4. Add the sugar into the khoya and knead it for about a minute until everything blends together and become soft dough.
5. Divide the mix into 20 equal parts or more, less depends the size you prefer. Make them into ball rolling between your palms. make any design you like on peda or simply make a dent on it.
Garnish them with pistachios.