HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU PEOPLE!!!!
Caramel Bananas and Apples
2 bananas, peeled, split vertically into thirds, and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 medium apple and cut into 1/2-inch to 1-inch chunks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Make the caramel bananas and apples. Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking.
2. Reduce the heat to medium, and sprinkle the granulated sugar evenly around the pan, then top with the dark brown sugar.
3. When the granulated sugar starts to liquify and turn golden..start shaking the pan to distribute the heat and sugar evenly.
4. The brown sugar won’t melt as fast as the granulated sugar, but that’s ok. Once the granulated sugar is melted, start stirring the brown sugar into it..it will melt instantly. If you’re worried about crystallization since this is the dry method of caramelizing sugar, stir in a little water or corn syrup with the sugars, then start heating it.
3. Immediately stir in the butter once the sugars are melted and golden brown, then add the chopped apples. Stir for a minute, then add the chopped bananas and salt.
Cook until the fruits have softened, but are not mushy, about 3 minutes.
4. Add vanilla extract and pour caramelized fruit and syrup into a heat proof bowl or glass.
5. Assemble It whatever you like. This is all up to you. Layer each ingredient in glasses or cups, any way you want. I made some with pudding, then Custard, then caramelized fruit, then more pudding, then more caramelized fruit and Custard layer, repeat. I just glopped everything in, but you can make these really beautiful.