So my next Recipe is an Authentic Gujarati Recipe called "HANDVO"...Here I am going to make "Vegetable Handvo"...
Handvo is a baked dish made from various daals/lentils and Rice, Sesame seeds and Spices. The Better is prepared from lentils and Rice and is usually fermented overnight. This is baked dish. Hence the Handvo batter is traditionally baked in a special steam cooker. It is also possible to prepare in an oven.
Let us check step by step Recipe of Vegetable Handvo....
1) To Prepare Handvo Batter
Lets start with the Handva batter first. There are different ways to prepare a nice authentic Handva batter that will be turned into delicious Handva. I have used the Mixed lentils and Rice to prepare batter. So for that you need to soak the chana daal, urad daal, and moong daal for overnight. And Rice too. After that grind them all with curd and water as you need to make a lil thick batter. Then put the batter in warm place for fermentation..
Here The Ingredients are.......
Long Grain Rice – 1 cup (200 gms)
Channa Daal – 1/4 cup (50 gms)
Toor Daal – 1/4 cup (50 gms)
Urad Daal – 1 heaping Tbsp
Yogurt – 1/2 cup (150 gms)
Green Chilies – 2 – 3 or to taste, finely chopped or ground
Ginger Paste – 2 tsp
Garlic Paste- 2 tsp (approx 3 large cloves)
Bottlegourd/Doodhi/Lauki – 1.5 cup, shredded and packed
Carrot- 1/4 cup chopped
Green pees- 1/4 cup
Salt – 2 tsp or to taste
Ajwain – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Eno Fruit Salt – 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds – 2 Tbsp
Oil – 3 Tbsp (divided)
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
1. Wash Rice and all Daals and soak them for at least 4-6 hours.
2. Drain water from Rice/Daal and coarsely grind them with Yogurt (if possible, do not add any additional water while grinding). Food processor or blender may be used.
3. In a medium size mixing bowl, add batter from above and mix in the following: Ginger, Garlic, Green Chilies, Salt, Sugar, Ajwain, Turmeric Powder and Doodhi/Lauki, Carrot and Green pees Mix well.
4. In a small skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of Oil slightly. Add Curry Leaves and Red Chili Powder. Add this Oil mixture to the above batter and mix well.
5. Cover and let this batter rest for 6-7 hours or overnight (no need to refrigerate).
6. Add Eno Fruit Salt and mix well to make the batter foamy.
7. Divide batter into greased muffin pan or pour int a greased cake pan.
8. Sprinkle Sesame Seeds over the top of the batter.
9. In a small skillet, heat remaining 2 Tbsp Oil.
10. Add Mustard Seeds and let them pop. Switch off stove.
11. Add Asafoetida to the oil.
12. Drizzle this oil seasoning over the top of the sesame seeds.
13. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350F (180C) for 40 minutes.
14. Remove foil and broil on High for approx 10 minutes until a light golden crust forms.
15. Let the Handvo rest for 10-15 minutes before eating.
Serve it with Mint-Coriander Green Chutney....Tastes Awesome!!!!!!1