Spinach Fritters Or Palak Pakoda are my favorite :) just love them and these are healthy fritters as its made purely from greens of spinach. These Spinach Fritters are so easy to make. Most important factor is its crispy, crunchy, delicious, yum and its crunchy even when it is not hot Or you eat after some time. Spinach Fritters goes well with pav, bread accompanied with green chutney and sauce. Also a cup of tea Or coffee. Monsoon is a great time to have pakodas as the fun is altogether different. But for a person like me I can have pakodas all the time of the year provided its made of spinach Or fenugreek. So here is the Recipe.............
25-26 Spinach leaves (cleaned and Chopped)
3 cups oil
1 cup gram flour (besan) Or as required
1 t/s baking soda (optional)
4 tbsp water Or as consistency required
3 tbsp white sesame seeds (til)
1 t/s Asofoetida (hing)
2 tbsp chat masala
1 tbsp fennel seed powder
1.5 tbsp Cumin seed
1.5 tbsp Red chili powder
½ t/s Turmeric
1 t/s coriander seed powder (Dhaniya)
salt as per taste
1. In a Mixing bowl add gram flour, salt and all spices (turmeric, hing, chat masala, red chili powder, cumin seeds, fennel seed powder, dhaniya powder) along with sesame seeds. Combine all nicely with a spoon Or your finger tips.
2. Add water to it to form a smooth paste. Ensure no lumps are formed. The consistency should be or thick consistency should be able to cover the spinach leaves.
3. Lastly add baking powder and keep it aside for 5 to 7 mins.
4. In the meanwhile take spinach leaves wash and wipe them with a cloth Or napkin, Normally People use whole leaves but just for a change here I had chopped them....You can use Whole leave also...then add chopped spinach leaves in smooth paste..
5. Now take a deep frying pan. Add oil allow the oil to get hot. Place the gas on low heat. Gently leave them in hot oil. Repeat the same with another pakodas. Depending on your vessel size fry about 5 to 6 of fritters at one time.
6. Fry them until golden brown and crisp from both sides. Place them on napkin to absorb excess oil. Serve hot with tomato Or chili ketchup.