As today this is the world of “Curry in Hurry” no one have much time, but if you are a slave of your taste buds than you must have patience, love and time to cook this dish. Makki di roti is a very famous and traditional north Indian bread and popular in Punjab and Haryana. It is made of Maize flour, which is in yellow colour. Makki di roti means Maize four Flatbread in Punjabi language. Makki di roti is unleavened Punjabi flat bread made on a hot iron griddle. It is traditionally eaten with saag or sarson ka saag and the combination is very delicious. It is a little bit difficult to make and handle it but I have shown you how to make it a bit easily through pictures.
Pulses are an important source of protein especially for vegetarians and vegans. I think that is the reason why daal has traditionally been part of every meal in India. check out the step by step Recipe:
2 Cups Indian Makka Flour (Makki ka atta)
Salt to taste
1. Take Makki ka Flour in a vessel. Knead dough just before preparing Rotis. Add salt and knead dough with warm water.
2. Heat griddle. Take a small portion of dough and mash with hands until soft. Take a part of this dough and make a small ball. Flatten with palms.
3. Rub some water on your palms. Press with fingers to enlarge this dough ball, now press with your palms to make a round.
4. Place this round on hot griddle, turn when one side is done. When other side is also cooked, pick with tongs and cook directly on low flame, turning around until both sides are pink.
Urad Chane ki Daal
1 cup split white gram daal
½ cup Bengal gram (chana daal)
½ inch ginger, grated
1 onion, chopped
1 green chilli, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
A pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp red chili powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
1. Wash and soak both the daals together in 3 cups of warm water for 6 hours or overnight
2. Heat ½ tbsp. oil in a pressure cooker, add asafoetida and cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the daals with the water it was soaked in and half of ginger.
3. Pressure cook for 4 whistles and leave on low flame for 20 minutes. We want the daals to become very soft. Remove from heat after 20 minutes and open the cooker only after all the steam has escaped on its own.
4. In a deep non-stick pan, heat the remaining oil. Add chopped chillies, ginger and garlic. Sauté for a minute. Add chopped onions, mix well and sauté for a couple of minutes.
5. Add all the spices mix well and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the boiled daals to the onion mixture. Mix well and cook covered for 5 minutes.
6. Add lemon juice and. Mix well and empty in a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot with Makki ki rotis.
A very yummy and healthy combo dear!flavorful Daal recipe. Loved it!ReplyDelete
Thanks dear Kushi!! :)Delete
Very nice step by step presentation. Love the combination. perfect makki ki roti !!ReplyDelete
Thank you shilpi...Thanks for stopping by !!! :)Delete
Lots of great looking dishes here! I can't keep up with all the dishes I want to make...there's always so many good ones :)ReplyDelete
Restaurant in Rajendra Nagar
amazing blog! i found this blog today. very much liked this recipes. it's very helpful. making so eselly. thankyou for shearing this information with us!chowringhee laxmi nagar