Kachori is a spicy snack popular in various parts of India including Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Delhi, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Bengal, Telangana and Orissa. Kachori is supposed to have originated in Uttar Pradesh or Rajasthan. In these states it is usually a round flattened ball made of fine flour filled with a stuffing of baked mixture of yellow Moong dal or Urad Dal, Besan , black pepper, red chili powder, salt and other spices.
Additionally in Rajasthani cuisine, the Pyaaj Kachori (onion kachori) is very famous.
Pyaj Kachori (Onion Kachori) is a kind of Rajasthani Kachori, a fried pastry filled with a spicy onion filling. It is one of the famous spicy snack food from Jodhpur and vicinity. Very few households actually prepare these crisp, flaky deep-fried kachoris stuffed with an onion filling. Steaming hot Pyaaz ki Kachoris or Aloo Pyaaz ki Kachoris are sold at most 'namkeen' shops in Rajasthan. Like all kachoris, they are eaten with a sweet and spicy tamarind chutney. You can prepare these kachoris ahead in time and re-heat them in an oven just before serving. And best in Breakfast and afternoon snacks....and most tasty in rainy days :)
So, Its our 21th #foodiemonday #bloghop Event and, Our theme is #Regionalbreakfast....Being a rajsthani girl, I can only have this Pyaaz ki kachori in my mind!! So, I tried to make these super delicious kachoris.....The very well known snack...and its a super tempting when it serves with pudina and tamarind chutney....You can make a chaat as well with the combination of these chutneys ....So, check out the step by step recipe below and Enjoyyy the Royalness of Rajasthan...
3 Onions, Chopped
2 Potato, Boiled, and mashed
2 Cups All purpose Flour
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 Small Cup Oil
1/4 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
1 tsp Coriander seeds
4-5 Garlic cloves, chopped
1 inch Ginger Piece, finely chopped
3 Green chilies, Finely chopped
Oil for Frying
1/2 tsp Dried Mango Powder
1/2 tsp Fennel Powder
1 tsp Black peppercorn
1 pinch Baking Soda
salt to taste
1. Heat a pan with 2 tbsp of Oil add Asafoetida and saute it for few seconds.
2. Now, add Cumin seeds and saute till brown. Add Ginger, Garlic, Green chilies and onions and saute till fragrant.
3. Add mashed Potatoes, add Amchur powder, Fennel powder, Black Peppercorns, and crushed Coriander seeds, and mix well.
4. Transfer this mixture into a Bowl and set aside to cool. After It get cool, add salt to taste and mix it well.
How to make a Dough:
1. Sieve Maida and Baking Soda in to a Bowl. make a well between the flour and Add Oil and lil salt mix them well. Add sufficient water and knead a dough.
3. Apply a little oil on your hands and make balls of the dough. Flatten the balls slightly and shape into small katoris with your fingers.
4. Place some of the onion mixture in the centre of the katoris, gather the edges and seal.
5. Further roll into hot oil, turning sides, till golden brown all around. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve Hot with Pudina chutney and Tamarind chutney.
Note: I don't like to have these kachoris without adding some amount of potatoes, so I have added them, You can simply avoid it, and make a plain Pyaaz ki kachori.